Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Recipe Week 13

Small Batch Dinner Rolls

1/2 cup warm water (about 105 degrees)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a small pan with Pam.
Place the water, olive oil, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. (I am sure you can do this  and the kneading by hand but I have the dough hook so I use it) Stir to mix then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. It should be very foamy. If not the yeast is not doing its job and the rolls will not rise. Mix in the salt and flour using the dough hook. Begin on low until the flour begins to incorporate then increase the speed to the 2nd setting. Leave it there for about 1 minute then put it on the 3rd setting and leave it until the dough forms a ball and the sides of the bowl are mainly clean.  (If the dough feels too sticky add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time. This is a very soft dough so add no more than 2 tablespoons)
Put the dough on a floured board and section it into 4 pieces. Roll into balls and place them in the pan. Let rest 5 minutes before baking. Bake for about 12 minutes until the tops are golden brown.

I doubled this recipe because we thought Son2 and GF2 might stop by for dinner. I baked these in a standard square cake pan so they were not as pretty as they would have been if I had baked them in a round pan. I also forgot to take a picture when they first came out of the oven so these are just the leftover rolls.

This was a super easy and quick way to have homemade bread for dinner. The rolls were slightly sweet with a defined yeast flavor. The consistency was somewhere between a standard dinner roll and a very light biscuit. I will continue to make these on occasion. I liked not buying a pack of dinner rolls because the last couple always ruin before we can eat them. This time I had 4 leftover rolls, which were good for the next day's meal.

I am going to experiment with various herb toppings and also try to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast at the lake this weekend. (I have no mixer at the lake so I will have to hand mix and knead it. I will let you know how it goes.)

Anyway, try this. It is easy and really tasty!

21 comments:

  1. So, am I reading the recipe right? They only sir for 5 minutes? Halfway between a roll and a biscuit sounds really good. When all of us start eating bread around here again, I'm going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably took about 5 minutes with the dough hook, but there is no second rise. You simply let them sit on the pan for 5 minutes before baking. From beginning (including the yeast resting time) to eating them this took about 40 minutes

      Delete
  2. It is years since I have made bread. These do sound good. No dough hook here though. Hand mixing all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be pretty easy, especially since the amount is so small.

      Delete
  3. I don't think a better comfort food can be found than homemade rolls. They even beat desserts.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so good especially hot out of the oven with melting butter!

      Delete
  4. These sound like the rolls Mama made. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good. I am going to make them regularly

      Delete
  5. Yum...but bread is my nemesis! Trying to stay away from it until after our holiday at least

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweets are mine, so I can make this and be fine having just one roll. TheHub is the big bread eater in the family so this si the perfect size for the two of us.

      Delete
    2. And the smell of baking rolls in the house is worth the work! Looks like a fairly easy recipe - do you think using whole wheat flour instead would work out ok?

      Delete
    3. I imagine it would. The rolls would be heavier and you might need to use about 1/4 cup all purpose flour. I will try it using whole wheat.

      Delete
  6. I have a breadmaker which I used to love using but one of the paddles got lost, possibly thrown away by accident. This might be a good way to enjoy home made bread again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a simple and unambitious recipe that I will make it again and again, mainly because simple things are getting more and more appealing to me.

      Delete
  7. I like that this is a small batch recipe. So many make way more than we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most other recipes make so many I wind up tossing about half of them to the birds.

      Delete
  8. They look delicious! I've never made one with olive oil and have to try it. Only problem is I couldn't stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the really good thing about them. It is such a small batch that even if you do break down and consume the whole batch at least it is not as bad as a regular recipe would be.

      Delete
  9. That sounds so easy! And I have a dough hook!!! hmmm.... will have to make that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredibly easy! I have made these using AP flour and also whole wheat. The whole wheat rolls need about 1/8 teaspoon more salt but are equally delicious. I am going to be the only one here for supper, so I think I might need to try making cinnamon rolls? Balanced diet right?

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.